Specialism food, Hospitality, Premium drinks, Sommelier, Wine, WSET
Salary Package of circa £35K + benefits
REPORTS TO: Head Sommelier/Restaurant General Manage
Responsible for supporting the Assistant and Head Sommelier in the running of the Wine Department, providing a highly efficient and effective service, educating and recommending guests on Wines with trained skills and expertise, and training management and staff on Wines.
- To be able to educate the wider staff and guests about wine with thorough knowledge of the menu, wine and wine list.
- To handle guest complaints and oversee service recovery and/or pass on more complex complaints to the Assistant or Head Sommelier, or in their absence, to Restaurant Management.
- To serve alcoholic beverages in an appropriate manner consistent with company standards and UK legislation.
- Ensure the wine cellar is clean and well stocked at all times and wine-related equipment is stocked and maintained.
- To approach all encounters with guests and associates in a friendly service-oriented manner.
- To greet all guests with a smile, eye contact, enthusiasm and friendliness.
- To maintain a professional relationship with co-workers and guests.
- To assist with stocktake and ordering when required.
- To answers guest questions about food, beverages, and our facilities accurately and in a friendly manner.
- To report any irregularities during service or in the cellar to the Assistant and Head Sommeliers.
- To act as link between Commis Sommeliers and Assistant and Head Sommelier.
- To monitor table maintenance of all tables in sections, refilling water and wine, pro-actively offering drinks and/or clearing glasses, crockery and silverware when necessary, folding napkins when guests are away from the table.
- To maintain full knowledge of menus, drinks, recipes, and other pertinent information.
- To report training needs of individuals and/or team to Management and ensure the highest standards of service and
- To support the education of junior colleagues.
- To adhere to cleaning checklists and opening/closing procedures, ensuring that all staff are aware of these and checking back that they have been completed.
- Ensure that the restaurant is set up for every service and adequate levels of mise en place is available throughout the service.
- To contribute to the profitably of the restaurant by working in an efficient and conscientious manner – making informed recommendations to diners and minimising waste.
- WSET and/or CMS qualification are highly beneficial
- Solid prior experience in a similar position in a luxury venue
- Familiarity with Micros, Microsoft Office and Adaco Skills
Personal attributes required
- A genuine passion for wine and service
- Genuine curiosity and drive to study and improve knowledge
- Calm, confident and charismatic with high levels of discretion
- Excellent communication skills
- Intuitive, pragmatic and tenacious